Turkey Recipe No. 1 ~ Turkey Tortilla Soup

Today is Monday and it is the day I promised to share with you one of the recipes for turkey.

I have to tell you it was awesome, Mr. S says so, especially the next day.
It is easy to make and freezes extremely well. This would make great lunches if you choose to freeze in small increments. That is if it lasts that long!
I love making soup and will try to make soup out of about just anything. Well, that is except liver. I have very bad childhood memories of liver. So bad I just cant talk about it now, maybe later.
So here you are. I truly hope you like it, that is if you give it a tryJ
Turkey Tortilla Soup

Ingredients
1 Tbl. Olive oil
½ a large onion
½ green pepper
1 large jalapeno
2 cloves garlic
2 cups turkey; cubed or shredded
3/4tsp oregano
¼ tsp Adobo; salt with garlic found in the Mexican section
1/8 tsp Cayanne Pepper; more if you dareJ

1 Tbls. Chili powder
1.5 Tbls Cumin
32oz chicken broth
1.5 cup Salsa
1 cup Water
1 cup frozen corn (if canned drain) **
1 cup black beans **
1 cup red beans **
paparika ~ amount depends read about later in post
Directions
Chop onions, green pepper, jalapeno. In soup pot warm up olive oil. When hot toss in the onions, green peppers, sauté 1-2 minutes. Toss in the jalapeno and garlic.
Saute a minute more.
Add all spices to onion, green pepper, jalapeno, garlic mix. Then toss in turkey and mix together coating the meat.

Add in the chicken broth, water, salsa, black beans and the read beans.
Stir together and bring to a boil for a couple of minutes. Sprink with your choice of paparika. What I mean by your choice is that there is a few different flavors out there. The regular paparika, the chipotle flavor, and the smoked paparika.I chose the smoked paparika and used very little as it can actually over take the whole meal instead of enhance. But if you dont want a smoked flavor or a chipotle flavor at least use the regular paparika.
Turn down low and let simmer, a low simmer, for atleast 45minutes. I like to let it simmer longer to let the ingredients marry :)
I like to say that it makes me sounds like I know what I am talking about.
Serve with crushed tortilla chips, sprinkle cheese, a dollop of sour cream.
It is the perfect soup for a cold winter day. I hope you and your family enjoy.
Now for the **'s…..
The beans are ones that I have soaked, cooked, bagged, and froze. This has been part of my effort to lighten our grocery budget and to eat better.
Also the corn is from this summer when I bought local, and then froze. Also in dedication to our eating better and cheaper!


Comments

Popular Posts